Do You Need An Annulment?




Do You Need An Annulment?

If you have been married before - whether in a Catholic, other religious or civil ceremony - it is possible you will need an annulment before you can be married in the Catholic Church.  In some cases, the process is simple.  For one reason or another your previous marriage may have been invalid.  In other cases, a formal annulment might be needed.

Does My Ex-Spouse Need to Be Involved?

No.  Although Church law does require the former spouse to be officially notified that you are seeking an annulment, you do not need his or her permission or cooperation.

How Long Will This Take?

If your previous marriage is found to be invalid, the process can be very quick.  If a formal annulment is needed, the process could take 15 months.

How Much Will This Cost?

There is no charge at all to consult with an Advocate.  Advocates provide their service as a free ministry of the Catholic Church.  Legal fees for the actual annulmnet process are $750, although the fee may be reduced or eliminated in cases of financial need.

What Is the First Step?

The first step is to contact an Advocate.  Seven Holy Founder is blessed to have an experienced and compassionate Advocate on our parish staff.  However, it is not necessary for your to work with Deacon Forster.  Several priests, deacons, religious and lay men and women are trained in our Archdiocese to serve as Advocates.  Deacon Forster can put you in contact with the person with whom you would be most comfortable.



Rev. Mr. Tom Forster

for the Metropolitan Tribunal
of the Archdiocese of St. Louis

Deacon Tom has served for over 25 years as Advocate for the Metropolitan Tribunal of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.  He has assisted over 200 individuals in acquiring a resolution to their personal marriage difficulties.

He is happy to answer your questions about the annulment process or to help you along the steps of the process.

He currently serves as a deacon for Seven Holy Founders parish.